Thursday, October 02, 2008

Food for thought!

I watched the latest episode of “How I Met Your Mother”, and in it, the gang was wondering where to eat dinner. Ted suggested Chinese, to which Barney replied “I don’t like Chinese”. Ted then suggested Indian, to which Barney again replies, “I just said, I don’t like Chinese!”. Then Ted suggests Mexican, to which Barney has the same answer!

Anyway, they shoot down Italian, Sushi and Pizza as well. Finally they decided to go out for a burger, the “Greatest Burger in New York” (or so Marshall claims!)

 The point is that no cuisine can really be called “American”, can it? It is either Italian(pasta, pizza), Chinese, Mexican (tacos, enchiladas), Indian, or Japanese (sushi).

So this gets me thinking, what can be called American food? Steaks, burgers and sandwiches? As far as I read online, hamburgers and sandwiches have their origin in Europe. Then again, the history of America is short, and most things have their origin in Europe,via the migrants who moved to North America from Europe. 

There are a couple of eateries in Bangalore that claim to serve American cuisine. They just serve stuff like steaks, burgers, and fries mostly. KFC, McDonalds, Marry Brown, TGIF (though they also do serve Mexican I think), Subway…

 So what really is American food? Next post!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there. I was a student of Pune too and i agree with you. Which colg did u study at. I was at Symbiosis Law.

Are you still in Pune and how do i contact you?

October 16, 2008 at 9:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home